- 1/2 cup pearl barley soaked overnight, or rinsed rice
- 2 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 small potatoes diced
- 7 cups stock
- 2 cups kale or spinach
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute carrots, onion, and celery for 5mins.
- Add potato, garlic, and herbs. Saute a minute.
- Add stock, barley/rice, and kale, then bring to a simmer.
- Cook for ~30mins until barley/rice soft.
- Remove the bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
Based on: https://www.supperwithmichelle.com/2016/12/vegetable-barley-soup/