- 1 cup milk.
- 1 cup thickened cream (or more milk).
- 1 vanilla bean split with seeds scraped, or 1 tsp vanilla essence.
- 4 egg yolks.
- 1 tbsp cornflour.
- 1/3 cup caster sugar.
- Combine milk, cream, and vanilla in a small saucepan and warm over medium heat. Stir constantly for ~5mins, or until hot (do not boil). Remove vanilla bean.
- Whisk egg yolks, cornflour and sugar in a bowl.
- Pour warm milk slowly into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return to the saucepan over a low heat (do not boil). Stir constantly for 15-20mins until it thickens (should coat the back of the spoon).
- Serve warm or cold.