- olive oil
- 500g chuck/topside/riblap
- 1 large carrot finely diced
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 4 celery sticks finely diced
- 1 large carrot roughly chopped
- 2 whole cloves of garlic (slightly crushed)
- 2 fresh tomatoes quartered
- 300g mushrooms chopped
- 20g bacon/panchetta/spek
- 20g tomato paste
- 50ml apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 twigs of thyme
- preheat oven to ~110C (~230F).
- add ~1 tablespoon oil to dutch oven
- set heat to high
- wait until oil is shimmering
- brown meat on both sides (~3min)
- remove meat and set aside
- reduce heat to medium-low
- add garlic and bacon to remaining oil and sizzle for 1 min.
- add the mirepoix and the thyme
- cook for ~15min stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper once mirepoix softens.
- add tomato paste and cook further ~3min
- add apple cider vinegar with ~1 cup water
- bring to boil and let reduce ~3min
- add fresh tomatoes and roughly chopped carrot
- return meat to pot (make sure there is enough liquid to just cover meat)
- add lid to dutch oven, and place in oven for ~5 hours. Checking every 2 hours.
- around 1 hour before serving, add mushrooms.