Christmas meat pie
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200g butter, cold and diced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 star anise
- olive oil and butter
- 500g bladesteak/sukade/oysterblade
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 2 celery sticks finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- 20g tomato paste
- 1-2 cups of wine or beer
- oat or spelt flour for thickening
- 20g pork fat (bacon or lards)
- salt beef on all sides and let rest for ~1hr.
- preheat oven to ~110C (~230F).
- render pork fat
- brown beef on all sides then remove and set aside.
- reduce heat to medium-low and add the mirepoix.
- simmer for ~10minutes.
- add spice mix and garlic. Simmer until fragrant (~2min). Do not let garlic or spices burn.
- add tomato paste and cook further ~1min.
- add wine and de-glaze the pot. Simmer for ~5min.
- return meat to pot.
- add lid to dutch oven, and place in oven for ~3-4 hours.
- mix a tablespoon of spelt flour with juices from stew in a cup to create a slurry. Add the slurry back to the stew and cook for a further 1min.
- Combine flour, salt, butter in a bowl.
- Gently rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs, but don’t overwork it (some butter bits is fine).
- Add water and egg in a bit at a time until the mixture forms a ball (you may not need all the water).
- Wrap in cling wrap and put in the fridge for a couple of hours (or overnight).
- Roll out to match your pie dish,
- Fill with stew and bake at ~170 for 20-35 mins (till golden brown).